Thursday, February 25, 2010

Happy late "defenders of the motherland" day!

Why am I so happy about "defenders of the motherland" day? Well many reasons actually. I know that I am not russian so this is not really my holiday to celebrate, but in a way I am a russian for the next little while. Now more than likely none of those who actually read this know what defenders of the motherland day is. Unless you actually pay attention. Because let's be honest it's pretty self-explanitory. Russians used to celebrate february 23rd as a celebration and a day to honor all men who were in the army, but now they celebrate and honor all men, even boys because they figure eventually all males will be in the army eventually. So you give gifts to all the men in your life on this day.

Now why is it that I appreciate this holiday soo much. Well last saturday I had the opportunity to go to victory park. Victory park is the place where Napoleon and his troops waited to get the keys to the city. They have amuseum there also that is dedicated to the wars russia has been in. Wars like WWII, The soviet war, and others. It really was a cool and interesting museum, but at the same time sad and depressing. It provoked a lot of thoughts in me. Thoughts such as gratitude to all the men in wars that have given their lives to save their people and country. Also it just reminds me that there is worse to come, and is helping me be awre so I can be prepared when more wars come.

Now the best reason of all that men's day (that's what they call it now) is so great, is that I had 2 extra days off of teaching! I love my kids and all but they really drain me sometimes! Plus I was able to go out and see and experience a little bit more of Russia!

So happy "defenders of the motherland" day! Man I can't wait till the next holiday!

1 comment:

Nick and Stacey said...

So what your saying is teachers are just as excited for holidays as students....they just cant show it! All that stuff really is interesting to think about and see, Nick was watching a special on the history channel for a minute this morning, about WWII it was interesting and crazy to hear what everyone went through!